Wilson County TX Biographies
[A-C]  [D-G]  [H-M]  [N-S]  [T-Z]

Nelson Fisher Alsup

Nelson Fisher Alsup, politician, was born on July 20, 1877, in Wilson County, Tennessee, the son of Joseph Franklin and Rachel Baskin Alsup. He was educated at home, at the Belton Male Academy (Wedemeyer's Academy), and at Sam Houston Normal (now Sam Houston State University) in Huntsville. He taught school at Durango, Paige, and other small Central Texas communities. Alsup married Laura Kate Johnson of Day's Lake near Waco on August 23, 1905. They had six children.

In 1906 Alsup ran unsuccessfully against Thomas T. Connally for justice of the peace in Falls County. When the anti-Ferguson faction of the Democratic party joined with the Ku Klux Klan to control state offices, Alsup ran for superintendent of public instruction on the American (Know-Nothing) party ticket. Pat M. Neff, a leader of the anti-Ferguson faction, had not registered under the conscription act of 1917, claiming he was overage. Alsup obtained photographs of the Neff family Bible showing an erasure in the name of Patty M. Neff, born in 1871. There was no entry for Pat Morris Neff. The Neff family burial ground showed tombstones for each of the Neff children except Patty M. Neff, though there was some disturbance of the gravestones. Alsup published this information in the Ferguson Forum. After Neff's election as governor, an indictment for criminal libel was issued in McLennan County, and about two the next morning Alsup was taken from his home on Little River in Bell County by persons claiming to be Texas Rangers. He remained hidden for some time. Attempts to serve a writ of habeas corpus at several jails in Central Texas were unsuccessful because he was being held in a camp in secluded cedarbrakes west of Waco. Once the camp was discovered, Alsup was placed under arrest, brought to trial in Waco, and quickly convicted. The Court of Criminal Appeals confirmed the conviction, saying "The evil design, which is an essential element of criminal libel, requires no specific proof..." and "the truth of a statement charging acts which were disgraceful but not penal is no defense to a prosecution for publishing such statement." Another hearing was denied by the court on March 8, 1922. Neff's second term as governor expired, and Governor Miriam A. Ferguson pardoned Alsup and fully restored his civil rights. Alsup never again swayed from his support of the Democratic party.

Under patronage of George W. West, he became editor of a Live Oak County newspaper. During this time he wrote a novel, The Lost Crucifix of Our Lady of Guadalupe (1977), a thinly veiled fictional account of the life and some adventures of George West. Alsup lobbied the Texas legislature during the 1930s and 1940s for the Texas Sheep and Goat Raisers, the Texas Soil Conservation Association, and others. Some of his most earnest lobbying was for the State Soil Conservation Act, which was passed in 1939. He led an unsuccessful write-in campaign against Commissioner of Agriculture McDonald. The largest write-in vote ever recorded in Texas was levied against McDonald. Alsup died on February 29, 1952 at Temple.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Temple Daily Telegram, March 1, 1952.

John Reagan Baker

John Reagan Baker, Republic of Texas soldier, son of Peter and Margaret Laura (Reagan) Baker, was born near Blue Springs, Green County, Tennessee, on August 6, 1809. He made a trip to Texas in 1836. In 1839 he returned to Texas and became a member of the Texan auxiliary corps of the Federalista army encamped at Fort Lipantitlán. He followed Ewen Cameron through the campaign, was in the battle of October 23, 1840, at Ojo de Agua, near Saltillo, and cut his way back to Texas with his comrades. When the corps was disbanded, he went to Refugio County and settled in Aransas City. He was elected sheriff of Refugio County on February 1, 1841, and organized a company of minutemen, of which he was captain, although he retained membership and became a first lieutenant in Cameron's Rangers.

In March 1842 he went with Cameron's company to San Antonio on the occasion of the Rafael Vásquez raid, served with the company on the Nueces when Antonio Canales was repulsed on June 6, 1842, and distinguished himself in hand-to-hand fighting at the battle of Salado Creek on September 18, 1842. As a member of the Somervell and Mier expeditions he commanded a spy company and was one of the leaders of the break at Salado on February 11, 1843, when he was wounded. Unable to escape, he was put in the hospital, and there avoided the Black Bean Episode, but he was held in Perote Prison until September 16, 1844.

Baker returned to Refugio County and established a mercantile business at Saluria, on Matagorda Island. At the outbreak of the Civil War, he organized a home-guard company and was elected its captain. After the war he lived in Goliad County for a while, then moved to Indianola and again entered the mercantile business. In 1876 he moved to Wilson County, to a ranch near Stockdale, where he died on January 19, 1904.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Thomas J. Green, Journal of the Texian Expedition Against Mier (New York: Harper, 1845; rpt., Austin: Steck, 1935). Hobart Huson, Refugio: A Comprehensive History of Refugio County from Aboriginal Times to 1953 (2 vols., Woodsboro, Texas: Rooke Foundation, 1953, 1955). William P. Stapp, The Prisoners of Perote: A Journal (Philadelphia: Zieber, 1845).

John Wilson Biard

John Wilson Biard (Baird), early Lamar County settler, was born in Limestone County, Alabama, on October 31, 1841, the son of William Washington and Amanda Menifee (Finn) Biard. When he was five, his family moved to Texas and settled nine miles southeast of Paris in Lamar County, on a headright granted to Robert H. Wheat, a relative of the family. Biardstown was named for William Washington Biard, who built the first house in the community. John W. Biard married Elizabeth (Lizzie) Holbrook on August 31, 1865; the couple had seven children. In 1867 he and his wife donated land for the Biardstown school. Biard also lived in Jones County, Texas, in Hugo, Oklahoma, and in Sulphur, Oklahoma, where he died on March 14, 1913. He was buried in the family cemetery in Biardstown.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Maud Biard Smith, The Biard Family (Paris, Texas: Peerless, 1929). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.

Thomas Notley Cartwright

Thomas Notley Cartwright, soldier in the War of 1812 and one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred, was born about 1798 in Georgia, the second son of Thomas Notley and Martha Cartwright and a cousin of John Cartwright of San Augustine County, Texas. His father moved the family to Wilson County, Tennessee, by 1812, where his three brothers had settled. Young Cartwright served at the battle of New Orleans with the Tennessee militia and received bounty land. He settled in Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana, where he married Ann Davis in 1823.

The same year he moved to Ayish Bayou in Texas after buying the improvements of Daniel McLean. He moved the following year to Austin's grant, where he received a league on the Colorado River and a labor just below San Felipe on August 10, 1824. He voted in the alcalde election at San Felipe on December 22, 1824. Early in 1825 he sold his land and returned to Ayish Bayou, where he farmed and worked at his cousin's cotton gin over the next decade. He applied for and received a headright in the area that became Polk County from special commissioner Charles S. Taylor in 1835. At this time he had five children and one slave. Cartwright served in the Texas army from July to September 1836 and located his bounty land in San Augustine County, where he lived until about 1845. He then moved his family to Houston County. There he died in October 1846. His widow and sons still lived there as late as 1860.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924-28). Mary Smith Fay, War of 1812 Veterans in Texas (New Orleans: Polyanthos, 1979). Thomas L. Miller, Bounty and Donation Land Grants of Texas, 1835-1888 (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1967). Marion Day Mullins, First Census of Texas, 1829-1836, and Other Early Records of the Republic of Texas (Washington: National Genealogical Society, 1959). Virginia H. Taylor, Index to Spanish and Mexican Land Grants (Austin: General Land Office, 1976).

Edward Chambers

Edward Chambers, farmer, Confederate officer, and state representative, was born in Wilson County, Tennessee, on August 14, 1815, the son of Lewis and Annie (Hunter) Chambers. Chambers remained in Tennessee throughout his youth. In 1836 he married Elizabeth DeBow Smith in Wilson County. This couple had three sons and five daughters. He won election as representative for Wilson County to the Twenty-sixth Tennessee General Assembly, serving from 1845 through 1847 as a member of the Whig Party. Sometime after 1847 Chambers immigrated with his family to Texas and settled in Collin County. Here he established himself as a farmer and played a leading role in the public affairs of the community. By 1860 Chambers was worth $8,120 in personal and real estate property. In 1863 following the outbreak of the Civil War, Chambers joined the Fifteenth Battalion, Texas State Troops, as captain for Company D. Prior to the war's end he received promotion to colonel. At the end of the war Chambers returned to Collin County. He won election as representative for Collin County to the Texas legislature in 1866, 1872, 1876, and 1882, encompassing the Eleventh, Thirteenth, Fifteenth, and Eighteenth legislatures, respectively. Edward Chambers died in Collin County on September 27, 1887, and was buried there at Rowlett Creek Cemetery.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Alice Pitts, Wanda O'Roark, and Doris Posey. Collin County (Texas) Cemetery Inscriptions, Volume I (Ft. Worth: Manney, 1975). Alice E. Pitts and Minnie P. Champ. Collin County, Texas, Families (Hurst, Texas: Curtis, 1994). Charles E. Spellman, ed., The Texas House of Representatives: A Pictorial Roster 1846–1992 (Austin: Texas House of Representatives, 1992).

Joseph Bell Chance

J. B. Chance, pioneer surveyor and soldier in the war for Texas independence, son of William Alexander and Nancy Chance, was born near Nashville, Tennessee, on July 4, 1800. He married Nancy Braden on November 14, 1820, in Wilson County, Tennessee. They had four children. Chance came to Texas on January 7, 1830, and took the oath on February 27, 1830, swearing to "subject himself to the Constitution of the United Mexican States." He and his family settled on a league and a labor of land granted by the Mexican government in Stephen F. Austin's second colony in an area that is now part of Washington and Burleson counties. Chance served as a delegate from the Hidalgo District to the Convention of 1833. In early 1835 his name appeared on a petition to the Mexican government to establish Washington Municipality. His surveying office was located on Ferry Street in that town. Chance was a subscriber to the first effort to raise money for a Protestant minister in Texas. Mrs. Chance was also a frequent contributor to the Protestant ministry. She received a grant for twenty-four labores of land located adjacent to Belton on August 13, 1835.

Chance served in the Washington Company of volunteers under Capt. James G. Swisher from October 7 to December 3, 1835, and was a participant in the Grass Fight. On April 7, 1836, he raised a company of volunteers, the Washington Guards, and was elected their captain. He did not participate in the battle of San Jacinto but was detached to guard the baggage at the camp near Harrisburg on April 21, 1836. For his army service from March 20 to June 1, 1836, he received 640 acres of land now in Ellis County. Chance described his personal situation after San Jacinto: "Our greate distress in having to run from our homes, together with sickness and campaign after campaign ever since last fall has so exhausted my funds that I am well nigh ruined."

Chance was appointed deputy surveyor of District 2, Robertson County, and by July 1838 advertised plans "to run two or three compasses during the season...for gentlemen wishing to select lands in those parts." He surveyed 67,000 acres of land in the virgin wilderness that became parts of the present Bosque, Hill, McLennan, and Robertson counties. He died shortly after May 23, 1839, in Washington County.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924-28). Joseph E. Chance, Joseph Bell Chance and His Family (1979). Malcolm D. McLean, comp. and ed., Papers Concerning Robertson's Colony in Texas (19 vols., Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1974-76; Arlington: University of Texas at Arlington Press, 1977-92). Worth Stickley Ray, Austin Colony Pioneers (Austin: Jenkins, 1949; 2d ed., Austin: Pemberton, 1970). Telegraph and Texas Register, July 23, 1838. Homer S. Thrall, History of Methodism in Texas (Houston: Cushing, 1872; rpt., n.p.: Walsworth, 1976).

Susanah Graves Clampitt

Susanah Clampitt, an early pioneer of Stephen F. Austin's second colony, was born on March 27, 1781, in Essex County, Virginia, and married Nathan Arnett Clampitt in Davidson County, Tennessee, on September 1, 1803. During their years farming in Wilson County, Tennessee, Susanah bore seven children. After Nathan's death in 1823, she moved to Texas in 1825 with her oldest son, Ezekiel Clampitt, and his family. She received a Spanish land grant in Washington County, one of the few women to hold a land title in her own name. She settled in Millican, Brazos County, where she married Moses Cummins. In 1841 Mrs. Clampitt gave two of her sons, Nathan and Francis G. Clampitt, 3,333 acres of her original land grant. She died on August 3, 1868.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Mrs. Harry Joseph Morris, comp. and ed., Citizens of the Republic of Texas (Dallas: Texas State Genealogical Society, 1977). Joyce Martin Murray, Washington County, Texas, Deed Abstracts, 1834-1841 (Dallas, 1986). Worth Stickley Ray, Austin Colony Pioneers (Austin: Jenkins, 1949; 2d ed., Austin: Pemberton, 1970). Charles F. Schmidt, History of Washington County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1949).

Connally, John Bowden

John Bowden Connally, Jr., thirty-eighth governor of the state of Texas, was born on a farm near Floresville, Texas, on February 27, 1917, one of eight children of John Bowden and Lela (Wright) Connally, Sr. He attended Harlandale High School in San Antonio, graduated from Floresville High School, and entered the University of Texas in 1933. He was elected president of the UT Student Association for 1938-39 and received his law degree from the UT law school in 1941. Connally passed the state bar examination in 1938 and began his career in government and politics in 1939 as secretary (legislative assistant) to Representative Lyndon B. Johnson, Connally's "mentor, friend and benefactor." It was the beginning of a close personal relationship that was storied but often stormy, and lasted until Johnson's death in 1973. Connally met Idanell (Nellie) Brill of Austin at UT and they were married on December 21, 1940. They had four children. Their eldest, Kathleen, eloped in 1958 at age sixteen and the same year died of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Connally was commissioned in the United States Naval Reserve in 1941. As a fighter director aboard aircraft carriers, he went through nine major air-sea battles in the Pacific Theater. Aboard the USS Essex he endured fifty-two consecutive hours of Japanese kamikaze attacks in April 1945. He attained the rank of lieutenant commander and came home a hero. After returning to civilian life, Connally headed an investors' group of war veterans that owned and operated Austin radio station KVET (1946-49). He also joined an influential Austin law firm and during this period served as campaign manager in LBJ's 1946 reelection to Congress and successful 1948 Senate race. He then served as LBJ's aide until 1951, when he became Sid W. Richardson's legal counsel, a position he held until Richardson's death in 1959. Connally earned a reputation both as "Lyndon's boy" and as a "political mastermind" and expert strategist. His political credo was "Fight hard and rough, but when the battle is over, forget and dismiss." Connally managed five of LBJ's major political campaigns, including reelection to the United States House of Representatives in 1946, the 1941 and 1948 races for the United States Senate, the unsuccessful bid for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1960, and the election to the presidency in 1964. In LBJ's pivotal 1948 Senate race against former governor Coke R. Stevenson, Connally, as LBJ's campaign manager, was publicly linked to the suspicious late report of 200 votes in Box 13 from Jim Wells County, which had provided LBJ's eighty-seven-vote margin of victory. Connally denied any tie to vote fraud, but acknowledged that he had learned a lesson in managing LBJ's unsuccessful 1941 race for the Senate, when Johnson's seemingly decisive 5,000-vote lead had been whittled away by late election returns from East Texas. LBJ lost the 1941 race by 1,311 votes. In 1948 Connally instructed South Texas campaign operatives to understate their early returns in the vote canvassing because, he claimed, "we had been bitten once. It would not happen again."

Connally also ably assisted in various political turf skirmishes, including fights to control the state Democratic party. In these he was a field operative or grass-roots political ally of both LBJ and Speaker of the House Sam Rayburn, who considered themselves leaders of the state party's "moderate conservative wing." One major struggle for party control was fought in 1952-56 against the "right-wing Shivercrats," led by Governor Allan Shivers, who bolted in 1952 and led a "Democrats for Eisenhower" move that helped the Republican presidential candidate carry Texas. A second, and longer-running, feud that extended through Connally's tenure as governor was with liberal senator Ralph Yarbrough. Divisions between liberal and conservative-moderate Democrats became a personal feud between Lyndon Johnson and Yarbrough, and Connally found himself embroiled in the feud because of his close ties to Johnson.

Connally served as secretary of the navy in 1961 in the cabinet of Democrat President John F. Kennedy. He won his first political race as a candidate for governor the next year. He was tall, handsome, personable, and articulate; his speech reflected his debate, drama, and declamation training in high school and college. He was also well-schooled in politics and government and had profited from his experience as Sid Richardson's legal counsel. Connally entered the race against a large field of candidates, including Governor Price Daniel, Sr., who was seeking a fourth term. A poll showed that Connally had only 4 percent of the votes at the outset. But in addition to wealthy backers such as the oilman Richardson, he had a strong grass-roots network of politically astute supporters. Connally won a 1962 runoff by 26,000 votes. The next year he survived serious gunshot wounds inflicted in the Kennedy assassination. He speculated that both he and JFK might have been the assassin's targets. He was reelected by a 3-to-1 vote margin in 1964 and won a third term in 1966 with 72 percent of the vote.

Connally had grown up on his family's South Texas cotton farm in the hard-scrabble status of "a barefoot boy of mule-plowed furrows." His accomplishments as governor "epitomized the big man of Texas" and "personified the Texas establishment as the Texas establishment wanted to see itself." He considered himself "a conservative who believed in active government." He had a vision of moving Texas into a dynamic era and entered the governorship saying that his administration should emphasize one of three crucial issues of the day: education, race relations, or poverty. He chose to be "an education governor" both because he believed that the most enduring way to address social problems was through education and because he "had a farm boy's dream to become the governor of the intellectuals and of the cultivated." Connally effectively used his political skills to increase taxes substantially in order to finance higher teachers' salaries, better libraries, research, and new doctoral programs. He considered this the crowning achievement of his administration. He promoted programs to reshape and reform state government, to develop the state's tourism industry (including his endorsement of liquor by the drink and pari-mutuel betting), to establish a state fine arts commission and a state historical commission, and to establish the University of Texas Institute of Texan Cultures, which was initiated as part of HemisFair '68, a state-supported world's fair at San Antonio.

After leaving the governor's office in 1969 Connally joined Vinson and Elkins, a large law firm in Houston named for William Ashton Vinson and James A. Elkins, both early principals in the firm. The same year, he was named a member of President Richard M. Nixon's foreign-intelligence advisory board and assumed a favored position among Nixon's advisors (it was said that "If Connally is not for a matter, the President won't do it"). In 1971 he became Nixon's secretary of the treasury and earned a reputation as "a tough American statesman." He sought to address the nation's growing trade deficit and inflation by such mechanisms as currency devaluation and a price freeze. In 1972 he spearheaded a Democrats for Nixon organization that helped the Republican president carry Texas. Connally switched parties from Democrat to Republican in 1973, three months after LBJ's death. In the wake of the bribery-related resignation of Vice President Spiro Agnew in October 1973, Nixon passed word that he would name Connally to fill the vacancy. This would have put Connally in a strong position to run for president in 1976. Nixon and Connally had privately mused about starting a new Whig-type party in the tradition of Henry Clay and Daniel Webster. But Democrats and Republicans alike in the Senate erupted in a "firestorm of protest." Warnings went up that if Nixon pursued the appointment, some powerful Senate Democrats "would be determined to destroy Connally." This was during the height of the Watergate scandal, which ultimately forced Nixon to resign. Nixon named House minority leader Gerald Ford vice president but said that he intended to support Connally for the 1976 GOP nomination. In the aftermath, Connally rejoined Vinson and Elkins but soon confronted a criminal prosecution for alleged bribery and conspiracy in a "milk-price" scandal. He was acquitted after a trial in federal court.

Connally's aborted effort to win the GOP's presidential nomination in 1980 was short-lived. He was hurt in part by a "wheeler-dealer" identification reminiscent of LBJ, and a press criticism that he was a political "chameleon." He was also damaged by a 1977 bank partnership he entered into with two Arab sheiks and an ill-advised or misunderstood speech he delivered to the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. in 1979, that was interpreted as having anti-Semitic overtones. Connally raised and spent $11 million on the fourteen-month campaign but dropped out of the primaries, having gained the binding commitment of only one GOP convention delegate. He felt himself to be a victim of the Watergate scandal. After he lost his bid for the presidential nomination in 1980, he left politics and government.

In February 1982 Connally, a man of some wealth, took mandatory retirement from Vinson and Elkins. In 1981 he went into the business of real estate development with his former political protégée, Ben Barnes. In the partnership Connally was the "intimidating Olympian eminence," and Barnes was the "sometimes overpowering salesman and legman." Both had superb business and political contacts in the state and nation "and saw no reason why the values of their political life could not work equally well in their business life." The partners "conducted business," however, "as if they were campaigning for higher office." They signed personal notes on loans bearing short-term interest at 18 percent and by June 1983 had sixteen major projects under way totaling $231 million. It was a boom time in the Texas petroleum industry, with world oil prices ranging up to thirty-seven dollars a barrel. When the oil price collapsed, the state's economy collapsed. Connally and Barnes were out on a limb that broke and took them with it, along with many other wealthy Texans and most of the state's major financial institutions. The fiasco led Connally to acknowledge that "we were moving too far too fast and paying dearly for it." He declared bankruptcy, and he and Nellie held a globally publicized auction of their holdings and expensive personal belongings to apply the proceeds to their debt. The positions Connally held in law and business had taken him to the high echelons of corporate America. He was a director of the Coastal Corporation, Kaiser Tech, Kaiser Aluminum, Methodist Hospital of Houston, and Maxxam, Incorporated. He had earlier served on the boards of the New York Central Railroad, U.S. Trust, Pan American Airways, the Andrew Mellon Foundation, Greyhound Corporation, Ford Motor Company, Signal Companies, First City Bank Corporation, Superior Oil Company, Falkenbridge Nickel, and American General Insurance. He was a member of the State Bar of Texas, and the American, Houston, and District of Columbia Bar associations. Connally died on June 15, 1993, at the Methodist Hospital of Houston, where he was being treated for pulmonary fibrosis. He was buried in the State Cemetery in Austin. He was survived by his wife, a daughter, Sharon C. Ammann, and two sons, John Bowden III and Mark.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Robert A. Caro, The Years of Lyndon Johnson (New York: Knopf, 1982-). John Connally, with Mickey Herskowitz, In History's Shadow: An American Odyssey (New York: Hyperion, 1993). D. B. Hardeman and Donald C. Bacon, Rayburn: A Biography (Austin: Texas Monthly Press, 1987). Lyndon Baines Johnson, The Vantage Point: Perspectives of the Presidency, 1963-1969 (New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1971). Doris Kearns, Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream (New York: Harper and Row, 1976). William Manchester, The Death of a President (New York: Harper and Row, 1967). Merle Miller, Lyndon: An Oral Biography (New York: Putnam, 1980). Richard M. Nixon, RN: The Memoirs of Richard Nixon (New York: Grosset and Dunlap, 1978). James Reston, Jr., The Lone Star: The Life of John Connally (New York: Harper and Row, 1989).

Robert Crudup

Robert Crudup was born August 10, 1801, to John and Rebecca (Temple) Crudup, and was raised in Wilson County, Tennessee. Crudup chose a life of extensive public service, serving as chief justice of McLennan County, Texas, in the House of Representatives of the Texas State Legislature, in the House of Representatives in the Tennessee General Assembly, and as a justice of the peace.

Crudup married Mary J. "Polly" Guill on June 24, 1820, and they had a son. A later marriage to Caroline Steele Harkreader on September 28, 1835, resulted in four children. Crudup was a farmer and teacher while living in Beardstown, Perry County, Tennessee. He was active in the community, and served as a juryman and as a justice of the peace. Elected to the House of Representatives in the Tennessee General Assembly in 1843, Crudup served until 1845. At that time he moved to Dryer County, Tennessee.

In 1855 Crudup moved to Waco, Texas, and married for a third time, to a widow named Almedia Olivia Barron Cunningham. They had five children. Crudup served as chief justice of McLennan County, Texas, from 1868 until 1870. He was elected to the Texas House of Representatives, and took the oath of office on April 26, 1870. Crudup, a Republican, was appointed to the Immigration Committee. Crudup was one of small segment of the legislature composed of former slave owners who had not supported succession from the United States. As Republicans, these men were willing to seek support from African American voters. Crudup only served in the Twelfth Legislature for about three months, as he died on July 13, 1870. The legislature passed a resolution of respect to Crudup and relayed it to his family. The Texas House of Representatives was asked to cover the expenses of his funeral, and voted on July 18, 1870, to pay $486.58 to cover fourteen vouchers for that expense. Crudup is buried in the Texas State Cemetery.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Randolph B. Campbell, "Grass Roots Reconstruction: The Personnel of County Government in Texas, 1865–1876," Journal of Southern History 58 (February 1992). House Journal of the Twelfth Legislature, State of Texas. First Session. (Austin: Tracy, Siemering and Company, State Journal Office, 1870).

Return to Bios Index
Return to Home Page

Compilation Copyright 1998-2012 The TXGenWeb Project
2012-Present - Linda Blum-Barton